Monday, April 8, 2013

You Are No Good To Anyone Dead - Health Tips For The IT Professional


When was the last time you took a good hard long look at your overall health? Was it days, weeks, months or even years ago? Do you think that you are an iron man and can persevere through anything? I was once in that state of mind, nothing could knock me down, maybe just pushed back a bit which allowed me to recover well. Not anymore!

A lot of things have changed since those days. Those days weren't all that long ago. Today my overall health is one of the most important strategies in my personal business plan and a key in my life plan. I am no good to anyone dead. To my family, business, friends or anyone that cares about me.

The wakeup call occurred one day when I was pushing close to the three hundred pound mark and my knees were seriously hurting due the strain of the extra weight I was carrying around.
Some days my knees would lock up tight to the point where I couldn't even get up because of the amount of pain. I was tired all the time, and I was no good to anyone, I lost the drive and desire because I was frustrated with myself and that I chose to gain all this weight. No one force feed the hot dogs at the hot dog stand to me as I went between clients or the extra plate at the buffet. I chose that lifestyle.

Since then I have dropped close to fifty pounds and starting to feel a lot better, not as tired, I have more energy and I do not need to sleep nearly as long to feel totally rested. This a great place to be. How did I get there?

No miracle diets, no special potions, simple eating the right feeds with a combination of a good exercise program. That is it, pretty straightforward. Instead of taking that quick hot dog on a way to a client's office, I plan daily to eat healthy, have a good lunch in the middle of the day, something that will contribute to my overall well being and give me long lasting energy for the entire afternoon. Another tip - cut out the junk food snacks. Bring snacks in the office or carry along with you that are healthy. I am not a healthcare professional; I recommend that you consult with someone that specializes in diet to understand what is best for you.

One additional tip that I can share with you on my experiences is that I have cut out drinking soft drinks and other beverages along the same lines. During the day, I drink nothing but water and try to cut down on the amount of coffee that I drink. I find that drinking water during the day keeps my mental retention high and focused on my tasks at hand. I can't say what water is better than others, I just have the regular water in our water cooler, and it seems to be working for me.

Your health as an IT consultant or business owner is critical to your success, without you running your business, will your business survive? How would poor health affect your family life? These are questions you need to ask yourself. It is even more critical when you are a sole entrepreneur, when you are not able to function, create your work, sell your solutions - where is the money coming in from? Having a healthy lifestyle combined with the recommended amount of exercise will aid in you having that competitive advantage in the marketplace. Give you the energy to shine over perhaps your competition that can't keep pace with you. There are a lot of reasons to choose a healthy standard of living, what is yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment