Friday, February 14, 2014

Exercises After Back Surgery


During a visit to my doctor the nurse asked me how old I was. When I said sixty-six she was surprised and said I didn't look or act that old. She knew that I had back surgery a few years ago and wanted to know what I did to stay in such good shape. As I began outlining my exercise and wellness program I thought it might be a good idea to write about and hopefully it will benefit others.

First a few words of caution: Before starting any exercise and/or wellness program it is important to get your doctors okay. Secondly if you haven't exercised in a while please start slowly. Third understand that any exercise program is a journey that never really ever ends. Four: Be easy on yourself it takes time to see the results, don't push yourself too hard and make sure you give your body plenty of rest so it can recover and strengthen itself.

Okay here is my current program of exercise and wellness. This is just a brief outline of what I do, but it works for me.

  • Strength training two days a week. I usually strength train and then wait three days before another strength training session at sixty-six I need the extra day between workouts.

  • Between Strength training sessions I do Chi Qong a version of Tai Chi.

  • I walk thirty minutes a day four to five days a week.

  • I eat mostly whole foods with lots of fruit and veggies, eats and lean protein like fish or chicken.

  • I don't worry about calories although I rarely have two servings a never any sugary desserts.

  • I only drink, water, tea and occasional beer or wine and a cup of black coffee in the morning.

  • I try to get 8-9 hours of sleep.

  • Supplements: I have a protein shake most days and a multi vitamin, 500MG of Vitamin C and Fish oil.

My strength exercises consist of body weight exercises like pushups and work with rubber resistance bands. My weight is 205 pounds and at a height of 6' 3" I feel pretty comfortable at that weight. I do however have a new goal of losing five to ten pounds and plan to increase my cardio to reach my target weight of 195.

My wellness and exercise program that I have developed after my back surgery works for me. I do think this is a sensible plan and one most people could follow. Whatever you do to start a program that works for you. The many benefits of being strong and health far outweigh any time and or energy you have to commit to your program. I think the important thing to work towards is finding a program that works and making it part of your lifestyle. Doing so will help you prevent the possibility of back pain and surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment