Monday, March 3, 2014

ACL Injury - Diary of a Female Athlete


The ACL or Anterior Cruciate Ligament is one of two major ligaments in the knee that are critical for lateral stability. ACL tears have been on the rise in females since the 1980's. In fact, I was the first female athlete in my high school to suffer an ACL injury and it seemed to snowball after that. The following is my narrative of how I was injured and how I returned to sports. Every case is different so if you suspect that you have an ACL injury or any other injury, please seek medical assistance.

1986 was just like any other year except I was a freshman in high school playing Varsity basketball. After the season I had the opportunity to try out for the Junior Olympic Basketball team. This was an elite traveling team and competition for a spot was fierce. Each athlete showcased their talents and as I went to do a layup, I heard something pop in my knee. It was when I landed on the floor that I knew something was wrong. I did not have excruciating pain, but I began to notice swelling almost immediately. My basketball days were over, for now. The doctor pushed, pulled, and prodded, and then confirmed on an MRI that I had torn my ACL and that I would need surgery to repair it. My question was when I could return to basketball. His answer was not what any athlete wanted to hear. I would miss an entire season, and maybe by Spring I could play softball.

My surgery went well, but I suffered damage to my patella, basically the kneecap and I had to have cartilage removed. I was in a full leg brace and in a lot of pain. A week passed and after seeing the doctor again, we scheduled physical therapy. Now, back in 1986, the protocol for ACL repair was almost a full year of rehab after surgery. Now, since ACL repair is more advanced, the rehab usually takes less time. I saw the physical therapist 3 days a week to start. Then 2, then 1. It was as full 8 months of intense rehab. I was committed to at least making Spring softball a reality. My hard work paid off and after being custom fit for a knee brace, I made it for Spring ball. But, I could no longer play the position of catcher, because the brace did not allow a full squat position. That is something that has changed since the 80's. The braces are much less cumbersome and allow for full range of motion. Oh, an I would have to learn to slide on my opposite side. The brace was made of fiberglass and metal, so sliding on it was not an option. So it was that I now learned to pitch and play first base. No problem, I was back on the field and back playing sports.

Basketball season came around again, and a funny thing happened. The way I suffered my injury was constantly on my mind. I knew my brace would protect my knee, but the fear of suffering another injury was holding me back. This is very common amongst athletes. You will even see it on the professional level. I played basketball and softball for the rest of my high school days and declined a softball scholarship at a local University. I wanted to stay active, so I played intramural sports.

I made sure to continue post-rehab work so my knee would never again fail. That's the point of this article. When you tear your ACL you can never stop taking care of yourself. Here is what I recommend:

1. Do not get hurt - Enroll in a Sports Performance program designed to make you stronger. This is the best investment you can make.

2. Do not let the doctor push you out of rehab before you feel ready. Some insurance companies limit the time you have for rehab. Try and extend it if you can.

3. Pay attention to the exercises you are performing, you will need to continue them post-rehab.

4. Educate yourself. There are volumes of information about prevention and pre and post rehab for the ACL. I recommend the ACL book on dcsportsinjury.com website. Dr. Steve is a great resource.

5. Be committed to taking care of yourself. That means, working out regularly, eating right, and taking joint supportive supplements like Glucosamine. I recommend the liquid natural form.

6. Do not forget to have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment